Thursday, November 19, 2009

Why does Yahoo let spam from www.21springshoe.com which pretends to be from my yahoo address inside yahoo?

I got a spam email apparently from my own yahoo.co.uk account to my own yahoo account. The email header shows it came from some ISP in Greece. The spam advertises a well known spam site www.21springshoe.com (dont go there!)


I would have thought that real yahoo mail can only originate from one of yahoo's own servers. Therefore it should be possible to ensure that any mail sent to a Yahoo address and purporting to come from a Yahoo address must originate from a yahoo server. My guess is that Yahoo's failure to do this will damage my ability to use Yahoo as there will be many people now who will mistakenly label me as a spammer.


Has anyone else had this problem and how can we get yahoo to defend us against this?

Why does Yahoo let spam from www.21springshoe.com which pretends to be from my yahoo address inside yahoo?
It's not just yahoo. I got the same thing happen with my work e-mail. You can submit a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at https://rn.ftc.gov. It won't stop it, but it will help when they are able to take the individuals involved to trial.


Spammers can thrive because there is little social and legal ramifications for their actions. While direct action cannot be taken at this time, (at least until class action suits can be correctly laid against the correct ^$#^holes), you can vote with your checkbook.





My spam was an advertisement for Gucci. I don't know if that company paid these people to send out these unsolicited e-mails, but I don't see anything on thier website, or in buisiness news that thier images and logo without permission, so I have to assume they are tacitly approving of this illegal action. I am not going to by _anything_ from that company, and I would advise everyone to not to buy thier products either.
Reply:They can't possibly block all spam


No comments:

Post a Comment